The migration crisis in the Mediterranean Sea is not getting any better. People are facing difficulties and death every single day. However, these individuals are rather seen as numbers with the consequence that, with some peace of mind, Westerners can discuss about them with some detachment. But we are talking about humans! For this reason, we wanted to make a game about it.
We have noticed that many citizens (families, neighbours, colleagues) do not really have a clue about what is going on with migrants. Mainstream media are spreading a huge amount of fake news which, unfortunately, generate more biases and conflicts between all kind of people. There are lots of misconceptions and the irritating ‘Us vs Them’ point of view is getting more ground day by day.
So, here we are. We have something in the pipeline.
Our game promotes empathy and wants to build awareness towards immigrants, their conditions, and their background. It is a storytelling game: the player lives the progress of the story with the characters by helping them to make decisions that affect their future.
- Introduction: introducing characters and environment. The user will see it only at the very first time;
- (iteration of ) Locations: every location has an ‘Entry Point’ (=card introducing the location) and an ‘Exit Point’ (= last card for a specific location that determines the change to the next location)
- Ends: victory and defeat. The defeat scene is called whenever one of the life values (sanity, health, money) drops at/under zero. The defeat scene describes the reason of death with a sentence and an image according to the type of death (so, one for money, one for health and one for sanity).
- Transport: boat (Red Sea, Mediterranean Sea), train (Train from Italy to France, Train from France to Germany)
- Countries: Syria, Jordan, Egypt, Italy, France, Germany